Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Camp Agape: Fun, Friends, Faith, & Hope

Hello Everyone! Today when I checked my email, there was an email that I was so excited about!!! It was an email from the camp where I have volunteered at during two past summers. It was simply just an email telling past volunteers when the dates of the camp where going to be and if they were interested in volunteering again this summer to fill out the volunteer form.  

Camp Agape is a bereavement camp in Texas that is  for children who have suffered a loss. The camp is completely free for children ages 7-12 who have lost loved ones like a parent or sibling from cancer, car wrecks, murder, suicide, or any other accident.  Some of the campers come from Fort Hood and have lost someone who has served our country.

I have volunteered at this camp two different times. It has been an amazing experience for me to help some of the kids.  It is so easy to get caught up and focus on ourselves with all the fast paced life and stress Americans have, but when you go to this camp you are reminded how fragile life is. Whenever I think about Camp Agape, I am reminded to not get caught up in the little daily stressors of my life and that really in the spectrum of life it is not important. I am encouraged to focus on the things that matter in not only this life, but more importantly the perfect life to come!

When I was 12 years old my dad was diagnosed with cancer and died a month later.  I think this has allowed me to better help the kids at camp, because even though the circumstances of their loved one's death might be different, I can somewhat relate to the feelings they are experiencing.  I cannot wait to go back to this awesome camp this summer!  

Here are some of amazing little girls campers that I got to spend time with at camp.




If you want to learn more about the camp you should check out the website:



2 comments:

  1. Great post! Just another reminder how all of us can take our life experiences, even the not so great ones, and positively impact others! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you for serving in this way!

    ReplyDelete